Sunday, November 23, 2008

Bittersweet day for record-setting seniors


UW photo
Cowboy senior running back Wynel Seldon rushed for 107 yards on 19 carries Saturday against Colorado State

By Richard Anderson
Wyoming Sports.org

It was a record day for three Cowboy seniors -- running backs Devin Moore and Wynel Seldon and linebacker Ward Dobbs.

So why aren’t they smiling?

The achievements were accomplished in a losing cause , a 31-20 loss to Colorado State Saturday at War Memorial Stadium.

For Moore, he is now Wyoming’s all-time leading rusher with 2,965 yards, passing Ryan Christopherson, who rushed for 2,906 yards from 1991-94. Moore finished with 78 yards rushing, but lost the ball twice on fumbles. It certainly wasn’t the way Moore wanted to end his Wyoming career.

“I didn’t come up big like I should have,” Moore said. “All I can say is it is time to move on, time o put them in the back of my head. It was the last game of the season and it was not the way I wanted to go out.”’

How long will Moore remember those two mistakes?

“Probably for the rest of my life,” Moore said. “This was probably the biggest game of intensity, and I wanted to go out with a good cap on this. It didn’t happen.”

Earlier, Moore told the media that he had some personal and team goals that he would share with them at the end of the season.

“I accomplished some of them,” he said. “Team-wise, I wanted to go to a bowl game and win the bowl game, and of course, win the Border War. I wanted to rush for more than I actually rushed for this season. I don’t think I hit it. I’m happy about the all-time thing, I couldn’t ask for more. But at the same time, I would trade it in if we could have had two or three more wins this season and win a bowl game.”

Seldon, meanwhile, finished with 107 yards on Saturday to become the program’s third all-time leading rusher at 2,672 yards, passing Marques Brigham, who had 2,605 rushing yards from 1995-98.

But he, too, lost a critical fumble. Despite that miscue, he said he had no misgivings. In fact, Seldon said he is going graduate this December with a marketing degree.

“That is one of the promises that I made to my family when I came to school, that I would get my degree,” Seldon said. “Then I want to pursue the next level and see if I can play as long as I can.”

Despite their mistakes, Seldon said the Cowboys tried to persevere. They just came up short.

“It was a hard-fought game,” Seldon said. “My counter-partner, D-Mo, and the rest of the team, I believe we all left it on the field. I don’t have any regrets. I don’t regret coming here, I don’t regret playing for Wyoming. I don’t regret anything that has happened in my career. I thank God for it because he used that to mature me as a man. I came here 17 years old, as a boy, and I’m leaving here as a man. I’m proud of myself and just grateful to be able to play this game.”

Dobbs had 11 tackles against the Rams to move into the No. 5 spot on the UW career tackle list with 343, passing linebacker Tyler Gottschalk, who made 334 tackles from 2000-03.

“Five years go by quick,” Dobbs said. “I couldn’t ask for a better group of guys to play with.”

In the second quarter against Colorado State, Dobbs intercepted his third pass of the season and returned it 24 yards for the touchdown, his second touchdown of the season. He also returned a pick 25 yards in the win against Tennessee.

“That was a good time, that’s for sure,” Dobbs said. “That’s to the big D-line, they tipped another one to me. They gave me another gift.”

No comments: