Monday, September 29, 2008

Moore: It's about finding a solution


Richard Anderson photo
David Leonard makes a catch in traffic Saturday against Bowling Green. Below is senior running back Devin Moore.

By Richard Anderson
Wyoming Sports.org

It’s not about pointing fingers, Devin Moore said. It’s about getting the ship steered in the right direction.

Moore, a senior captain, said it is up to himself and the seniors to turn things around this season. Even if it means taking some of the blame himself.

A somber Moore was to the point Saturday after the Cowboys fell to Bowling Green 45-16 in a game the offense once again struggled. Although Moore had 114 yards rushing and one touchdown, he also fumbled once that led to a Bowling Green field goal. He also took the blame on the first of four pass interceptions that directly led to a touchdown.

Moore said the Wyoming coaches have put the Cowboys in position to make plays and they haven’t made them.

“I didn’t make plays, I didn’t get it done,” Moore said. “I ask you, don’t blame anyone else on the offense. I think it was mainly me. Wynel (Seldon) took one in for a score and Karsten (Sween) threw a great pass to David Leonard (29-yard completion) Dax (Crum) had us moving down the field well and Stutz (Chris Stutzriem) was throwing the ball well. He went for the home run ball a little early, I think and probably could have check it down. But at the same time when you’re heart is pumping so hard, it is kind of hard not to makes mistakes.”

Moore’s plan to begin the process of righting the wrongs: Sitting the seniors down and working things out.

“Mainly to keep everyone’s head up, not to point fingers or anything. Just try to go out here and get a win,“ he said. “I told the guys in the locker room already, we have a great coach and with Coach (Joe) Glenn, anything can happen. Coach Glenn is a great coach and he can make it happen for us and I believe he will make it happen for us. Rest assured, you’re going to see the Wyoming Cowboys not only fight for a great record, we’re fighting for our coaches and our teammates.”

Moore’s message to his teammates is all about finding a solution and not pointing fingers.

“I hate to go in and look at it like I am perfect; I can’t do that,” he said. “When I make mistakes, it is hard to go in and say ‘guys, we need to do this and we need to do that.’ It’s hard on myself when I am being looked to as a captain. I’m going to fight through it.”

Moore’s speech to the media is becoming all too common, he said, but it is one that he is going to stick to because he believes it can happen.

“I don’t have an answer right now of what we are going to do other than I need to basically hold on to the ball; I know that,” he said. “I hope no one put that on Sween, that was my fault, I kind of came out on the draw play a little early. Put it on me, that was my fault. The first pick, that was probably my fault, I should have got loose form the defensive lineman. Our quarterbacks are trying hard. They are putting the work in during practice, so hang in there with us.”

The Cowboys, 2-3, will look to turn things around Saturday at New Mexico, beginning at 7:30 p.m.

No comments: